The Varicam LT has been around for a few months now and heavily getting traction in the broadcast and TV drama world. The predecessor Varicam 35, has been used to shoot Season 4 of the award-winning Netflix drama “Orange is the New Black” and Amazon’s “Salem Rogers: Model of the Year 1998”, the latter two shot by esteemed DP Theo Van De Sande, who explains why he chose the Varicam 35 in our post here. The cool thing about the new Varicam LT, announced back in February this year, is that it is a one-piece design geared more towards a single shooters who prefers the shoot from the shoulder. Despite sharing the same Super 35 4K sensor and unique dual-native ISO feature, the LT has a few more tricks up its sleeve – one of them being the removable IR cut filter, which opens up some really interesting creative possibilities for DP’s, who often have to resort to DIY modifying cameras to shoot infrared video or hire specialist equipment.
Luckily, the guys over at 26 Inch Productions recently shot some stunning IR footage with the Panasonic Varicam LT which you can check out below.
Panasonic Varicam LT Features and Highlights
- 4K Super35 CMOS Sensor
- Native Canon EF mount (PL mount extra option – easily user swappable)
- 2K/Full HD 240fps Slow-Motion (uses sensor crop)
- 4K/60p and Full HD ProRes 4444 & 422HQ
- 4K/60p Raw to Convergent Design Odyssey7Q+
- Built-in ND filters: 0.6/1.2/1.8
- User Removable IR Cut filter
- Single ExpressP2 card Slot for Main 4K/2K/HD recording
- SDXC Card slot for Proxy Long GOP recording
- Dual Native ISO – 800/5000
- Optional OLED viewfinder ($5,400 at B&H)
- 3 x SDI Out (dedicated one for Viewfinder)
- Support for 3rd Party Viewfinders like Zacuto Gratical and BMD URSA Viewfinder
- 2 x XLR inputs – 4 x Channel Audio 24bit/48kHz LPCM
- PreRec / Interval rec / One Shot Rec
- V-Gammut – exceeds BT.2020 HDR colour space
- 14+ Stops Dynamic Range with V-Log
- V-Look and BC-Look Presets – similar to WideDR on Canon C300 (mix between V-Log and Rec.709 for faster turnaround)
- Weight: 2.7 kg / under 6 lbs.
For those who want to learn more about the Varicam LT, I highly recommend the 50+ review by Ben Meredith .
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!