Now that we’ve seen the official footage from the EVA1 and hopefully had a chance to see the camera in the flesh during a Panasonic or local reseller event, those of us looking for a new pro camera that is not only compact, but also quite capable of some pretty decent 4K (and 5.7K Raw in the near future), can take a few moments or two to decide whether the EVA1 is “the one”. For me personally, the appeal of the EVA1 goes beyond any single feature, and instead stands out as a more comprehensive package of a decent codec for internal 4K, great options for 2K and 1080p slow motion, the S35 sensor, and the right decision to go with the super-popular Canon EF mount.
I may have already bought a different brand and model camera for my day-to-day corporate and event work, but if I was in a “buying mode” today, the EVA1 would surely stand on top of my list of cameras to test. However, there are many, who are yet to experience the EVA1 for themselves by shooting with it or even seeing it live, so hearing about the experience others, who’ve already shot with it, is the next best thing for the moment.
After the screening of the EVA1 demo films in Los Angeles, Cinema Product Manager Mitch Gross led a Q&A session with Johnny Derango and Elle Schneider on shooting their projects shot with the EVA1.
Panasonic EVA1 Features
- 5.7K Super 35 CMOS sensor
- Dual Native ISO (800 and 2500)
- Native EF Mount (non-interchangeable)
- 4K at up to 60p / 2K up to 240p
- 10bit 4:2:2 internal codec for 4K and Full HD
- Up to 400 Mbps data rate for internal
- V-log & V-gamut
- SD Card Recording
- 5.7K Raw Output (planned future update)
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS)
- IR Cut In/Out
- ND Filter Wheel (2/4/6 stops)
- XLR Audio
- Tool-less design for top handle and side grip
- HDMI & SDI 4K Video Outputs
- 1.2 kg // 6.69″ x 5.31″ x 5.23″ (L x H x W)
- Price: $7,345 US (B&H, Adorama)
So, what is the EVA1 consensus here? Those of you in the market for a mid-tier 4K pro camera – are you buying one? Or, are you not convinced yet? Do share in the comments below.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!