Didn’t get a chance to go to NAB 2018? Well, if you want to know everything new happening with and around Blackmagic Design, and especially with their hottest new announcements – the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and DaVinci Resolve 15 then you’re in luck. BMD recently uploaded a whopping 16+ hours of presentations they did at the NAB stand spread over two days, just in time for the upcoming weekend. But before you do so, do make sure you check out our original post on the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K here, and Resolve 15 here.
Blackmagic Design NAB 2018 Day 2:
Blackmagic Design NAB 2018 Day 3:
Here’s a really useful overview demo video that Blackmagic Design have prepared to illustrate What’s New in DaVinci Resolve 15:
The BMPCC 4K, or Pocket Cinema Camera 4K was, in my opinion, the hottest and quite unexpected product announcement at this year’s NAB trade show. Now with a bigger, 4/3 sensor with Dual Native ISO, and 4K/60p in addition to the already familiar 4K Raw and ProRes on board recording options, the new BMPCC 4K also offers a CFast 2.0 card slot in addition to SDXH UHS-II.
The new Pocket Cinema Camera 4K might have bulked up in size quite a bit, but so are the new features – from improved audio, to the ability to record to an external SSD straight out of the built-in USB-C port on the side of the camera, to the mini-XLR input and Canon LP-E6 battery and the giant touch screen at the back – BMD have really left little to be desired on their latest camera.
Sure, there is no AF tracking or articulating screen, but for $1295 it represents tremendous value, as it gives you also the full version of DaVinci Resolve 15, which otherwise would cost you $299. You can pre-order from B&H here; the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is expected to ship in September.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Features
- Full size 4/3 sized sensor with native 4096 x 2160 resolution sized sensor.
- 4K/60p and windowed 120fps in Full HD
- MFT mount – active – can use Speed Boosters
- 13 Stops DR (claimed)
- Dual Native ISO /Max ISO – 25600 for enhanced low light performance.
- Lightweight Carbon fibre polycarbonate composite body
- Multi function grip (a la DSLR) for quick access to:
- recording start/stop,
- still photos,
- ISO, shutter, aperture,
- white balance, power and more.
- Built in SD, UHS-II and CFast card recorders.
- USB-C expansion port
- Can Record Directly to an external SSD or flash disk.
- 10-bit ProRes and 12 bit Raw
- No ProRes Raw (not yet at least)
- Full size HDMI output for monitoring
- Mini XLR input with 48 volts of phantom power
- 3.5mm audio jack, headphone jack, and locking DC 12 volt power connection.
- Built in 5” LCD touchscreen
- 3D LUTs can be applied for both monitoring and recording.
- Uses Canon LP-E6 batteries for improved battery performance
- Blackmagic OS as used in URSA Mini and URSA Broadcast cameras.
- 4th generation Blackmagic Color Science.
- Supports remote camera control via Bluetooth.
- Includes full license for DaVinci Resolve Studio
- Price: $1295 – B&H
- Available: September 2018
Blackmagic Design Cintel Scanner 2 Update:
The new Cintel Scanner 2 Blackmagic Design features the incredible speed of Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe host computer connections fro realtime 4K film scanning, as well as a new skid plate for 35 mm HDR film scanning and timecode output. For more info on the Cintel Scanner 2 head over to Blackmagic Design here.
BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Get the ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Limited Time Offer!