Japanese audio maker Zoom has just announced the Zoom H8 portable handheld recorder. Built upon the H5 and H6 models, the newcomer sports a brand new module system, specifically designed interfaces for a wide variety of recording situations as well as more inputs.
The Zoom H8 lets you quickly record up to eight simultaneous input signals via a workflow that’s highly optimized for any audio recording task in the field. Plus, it’s compatible with an array of capsules (available separately) for easy expansion into 10-input recording, Ambisonics 360-degree audio, and more.
The H8 packs an impressive array of features into a lightweight body including intuitive, tactile controls, plentiful battery life, powerful audio processing functions, and everything in between. The device is well equipped for producing pristine audio for complete musical arrangements, independent films, and panel podcasts.
The Zoom H8 features 4 XLR inputs with dedicated pad switches and gain control. Additionally, there are two extra XLR/TRS combo jacks with Hi-Z switches that allow you to capture line-level signals, microphones, or directly record electric or bass guitars.
The brand new handy recorder can supply phantom or plug-in power for condenser mics, or accept direct connections from various devices. No matter the source, selectable auto-recording and pre-recording ensure that you’ll never miss the start of a take, and stereo safety track recording provides duplicate tracks at a lower level to avoid distortion.
Operating the H8 is extremely intuitive and user-friendly thanks to the 2.4″ color LCD touchscreen and the three app-driven modes (Podcast App, Music App and Field App) optimized for podcasting, music, and field recording workflows at the touch of the screen.
Last but not least, you can connect the H8 to a Windows or Mac computer and use it as a 12-in/20out USB 2.0 audio interface (up to 24-bit/96KHz). It can also be connected to iOS devices using the appropriate adapters.
Zoom H8 Highlights
- 4 x XLR Mic Inputs with Pads and +48V
- 2 x XLR-1/4″ Mic/Line/Hi-Z Inputs
- Phantom power for four main XLR inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Podcast/Music/Field Recording Modes
- Swappable X/Y Stereo Mic Capsule
- Customized applications for field recording, music and podcasting
- Large color LCD touchscreen display
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 512GB
- Up to 24-bit /96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you’ll never miss that perfect take
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression, and limiting
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 20 hours of operation with 4 AA alkaline batteries
- Price: $399
The Zoom H8 is already available to order selling for $399.
B&H Order Link:
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!