Western Digital’s new SanDisk G-Drive Enterprise Class External Hard Drives promise up to 22TB of storage capacity and read/write speeds over 250Mb/s for the 4TB, 6TB, and 12TB models, and up to 280 MB/s for the 18 and 22TB models.
At the heart of the new G-Drive system is a 7200 rpm Ultrastar Enterprise Class hard drive, which is capable of transferring data at up to 10TB through an upgraded USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C interface, providing enough performance to edit 8K video files directly from the device.
“At Western Digital, we know that having a strong workflow can make or break your project, but when people are given the right tools to push boundaries, they are unstoppable.
That was the inspiration behind the SanDisk Professional brand,” states the company press release. “From capturing and transferring to storing and archiving – to help manage production assets effectively and reliably.”
Future-proofed with TB4 connectivity through USB 3.2, users can edit 4K video and above directly from the external connection, or use it for backup of videos, photos, music, and other important files with up to 22TB of storage capacity.
Key features include:
- USB-C (10Gbps) drive for fast backup with up to 280MB/s read and 280MB/s write1 (22TB2 capacity)
- High-capacity, enterprise-class Ultrastar 7200RPM drive inside
- Mac Ready, Apple Time Machine compatible; easily reformatted for Windows
- A stackable, anodized aluminum enclosure offers premium durability
- Three modes of brightness to adjust the LED lights
- Anchor points to attach to a DIT cart, mounting plate, or other gear
- 3-year limited warranty
The drive is built with a stackable anodized aluminum industrial grade enclosure for durability and strength while pairing ideally with just about any high-end editing computer on the market.
It also has LED status lights with adjustable brightness settings. There are two anchor points on each side of the drive, enabling the drive to be mounted to a DIT cart, mounting plate, or other mounting configuration.
The drive also comes preformatted with MacOS 10.15 or later support out of the box and works with Apple Time Machine. The drives can also be reformatted for use with Windows computer systems as well.
Available in capacities ranging from 4TB, 6TB, 12TB, 18TB, and 22TB, with a retail price starting at 209.99-649.99, the G-Drive Pro comes with an AC power supply and a limited 3-year warranty. It is expected to ship in early September.
[source: Western Digital/Sandisk]
- SanDisk Pro 4TB G-DRIVE Enterprise-Class USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Hard Drive (B&H)
- SanDisk Pro 6TB G-DRIVE Enterprise-Class USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Hard Drive (B&H)
- SanDisk Pro 12TB G-DRIVE Enterprise-Class USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Hard Drive (B&H)
- SanDisk Pro 18TB G-DRIVE Enterprise-Class USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Hard Drive (B&H)
- SanDisk Pro 22TB G-DRIVE Enterprise-Class USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Hard Drive (B&H)
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!