The new Sony 4K XDCAM camera, which turned out to be one of the worst kept secrets in the industry with leaked photos and spec more than a week ago, has finally been unveiled at IBC 2014. The camera that had a lot of F5 owners displeased with the idea of a new Sony camera which can do 4K internal for less money. But, for now, I just want to focus on the specs of the new FS7, as comparing this to the F5 or any other camera opens up a huge can of worms.
The PXW-FS7 has a Super 35 CMOS sensor, E-mount (which is great as you can use an adapter like Metabones for your EF lenses for example), and the big thing of course is that it shoots 4K UHD (3840×2160) internally on the very robust Sony XAVC codec, which uses a true 10-bit 422 codec color sampling. The camera can do 1080p up to 180fps internally, which is a huge deal. We’ve been told this is going to be continuous and not in burst mode as in the FS700, which contrary to the fact, is not being discontinued. The PXW-FS7 will be getting 4K DCI (4096×2160) as a firmware update in early 2015.
Sony have implemented a rotating grip, built-in ND filters, and chosen the much more affordable XQD media for recording. The F5 uses SxS memory cards, which are faster and very reliable, but at the same time more expensive.
Images via Cinescopophilia
Key features of the Sony PXW-FS7
- Sony’s Super 35 Exmor CMOS Sensor
- On-board UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) up to 60fps and Full HD (1920 x 1080) recording up to 180fps
- Wide choice of recording systems
- XAVC Intra & Long GOP
- MPEG HD, 4:2:2, 50 Mbps (HD only)
- Apple ProRes codec (with future upgrade and extension unit, sold separately)
- RAW recording (with extension unit and outboard recorder, sold separately)
- Slow & Quick Motion for over-and under-cranking
- Dual XQD card slots
- 16-bit analog-to-digital converter
- ISO 2000 (native)
- S-Log 3 Cine Gamma Curve
- Die-cast magnesium frame
- Environmentally sealed electronics
- Wireless operation with CBK-WA100, sold separately
Cinema5D have a hands-on first look. Check it out below:
The following are planned availability and suggested list pricing for the PXW-FS7 and accessories:
- PXW-FS7 4K XDCAM Super 35mm Camcorder (body only) – October 2014, suggested list price less than $10,000.
- PXW-FS7K 4K XDCAM Super 35mm Camcorder (with FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS lens) – December 2014, suggested list price less than $13,000.
- XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit – December 2014, suggested list price less than $2,500.
- SELP28135G FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS lens – December 2014, suggested list price of $2,500.
- VCT-FS7 Light-weight rod support system – December 2014, suggested list price less than $1,200.
BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Get the ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Limited Time Offer!