It wouldn’t really be an NAB Show without Blackmagic announcing some pretty disruptive technology at unbelievable price points. Just now, Blackmagic Design announced a 4K version of their Video Assist recorder – this time with a 7-inch 1920 x 1200 resolution touchscreen, 4K 10bit ProRes and DNxHD recording to SD cards and dual mini-XLR inputs for under $900. One of the many cool new features of the new Blackmagic Video Assist 4K is of course the bright, 7 inch high resolution 1920 x 1200 touchscreen with a wide 135º viewing angle. The extra resolution of the screen lets you view 16:9 sources and see critical status information without covering the image. The unit is powered via 2 x Canon style LP-E6 batteries much like the 5-inch Video Assist, which was announced last year and is limited to 1080p recording.
Blackmagic Video Assist 4K Features
- 7 inch LCD touch screen with 1920 x 1200 high resolution monitor.
- Professional 10-bit 4:2:2 HD ProRes or DNxHD recording.
- Dual high speed UHS-II SDHC card recorders use readily available, inexpensive SD card media.
- Dual recorders allow non-stop recording and provide a backup if one fails.
- 2 x mini XLR connectors with 48V phantom power for connecting microphones.
- -128dBV electrical noise floor for high quality audio recording.
- LANC connection for remote control.
- Auto start/stop recording using HDMI or SDI triggers.
- Includes slots for 2 hot pluggable LP-E6 batteries as well as 12V DC power input.
- Full compatibility with editing software such as DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, Avid and Premier Pro.
- All in one design, mount to cameras, hold in your hand or set up on a table with the included kickstand.
- Includes 6G-SDI input allowing it to be used as an Ultra HD monitor.
“We’re really excited to announce Blackmagic Video Assist 4K with even more powerful features such as Ultra HD and professional audio recording,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Customers with DSLRs can use it to frame shots and record higher quality images and superior audio than ever before. Broadcasters can use it to add modern, file based recording to older cameras, and high-end filmmakers can record files for editorial while simultaneously recording RAW files on their camera. The Blackmagic Video Assist 4K is the ultimate all in one monitoring and recording solution for customers that want to shoot better video with any type of camera!”
Here’s a nice table of recording times that Blackmagic Design have provided:
The new Blackmagic Video Assist 4K is also an extremely high quality audio recorder thanks to the two mini XLR inputs with 48V of phantom power so you can attach external microphones to record audio with Video Assist, instead of your camera.
With an amazing equivalent input noise floor of -128dBV, you get high quality, crystal clear audio that sounds dramatically better than camera audio and eliminates the need to sync in post.
The Video Assist 4K is expected to be available NOW and priced at $895 in the US / £645 + VAT in the UK.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!