At IFA 2017, Sony announced a new action camera called the Sony RX0 packing a 1-inch stacked CMOS sensor, robust waterproof metal body and 4K output for around $700 USD.
Designed for both stills and video, according to Sony, the new Sony RX0 features a body design similar to that of a GoPro Hero5 as opposed to the current crop of Sony action cameras such as the FDRX-3000. The new RX0 weighs in at around 110g and measures at 59mm x 40.5mm x 29.8mm.
Unlike other action cameras, the RX0 packes a rather “large” sensor – a 1.0-inch stacked EXMOR RS CMOS equipped with a BIONZ X processor and a wide-angle Zeiss Tessar T* 24mm f/4.0 fixed lens to deliver high resolution and less distortion results for both RAW and JPEG stills and across supported video formats such as XAVC-S, AVCHD and .MP4. The camera also features an Anti-Distortion Shutter of up to 1/32000 second and can shoot at up to 16fps.
Most of you, I am sure, are familiar with Sony’s excellent RX10 II, and RX100 V, which feature a 1-inch stacked CMOS sensor capable of some sweet super-slow motion in Full HD and lower resolutions.
The RX0 does not have the ability to record 4K internally, however it can output a clean 4K (UHD really) signal via the HDMI an external recorder such as an Atomos Ninja Inferno for example. To help you out when shooting video, the RX0 has both MF Assist and Peaking Functions, and for those who prefer to push the recording a bit further, S-Log2 is also available.
Sony RX0 Features
- Ultra-Compact, Lightweight Body
- 15.3 Megapixels 1-inch Exmor RS CMOS Sensor
- 4K (UHD) 4:2:2 output via HDMI
- 1080/60p internal XAVC-S recording
- Up to 960 fps Super-Slow motion (lower res)
- Slog-2 picture profile available
- Timecode-Sync Multiple Cameras
- Zeiss 24mm-Equivalent Lens, f/4 Aperture
- Control via App or VP1K Remote
- NTSC/PAL Switchable
- Waterproof & Shockproof Body
- Price: $700 (B&H, Adorama)
- Availability: October 2017
The new Sony RX0 is waterproof at depths of up to 10 metres, which can be extended to 100 meters when used with the new MPK-HSR housing. The RX0 is shockproo when dropped from up to 2 metres and crushproof to 200kg f/2000N, making it durable enough to withstand shooting in difficult situations where traditional cameras simply cannot go.
Behind the Scenes:
There are plenty of new accessories to support the new RX0 such as the VCT-CGR Cage for increased system flexibility, the MPK-HSR Housing, enabling the RX0 to be taken down to depths of up to 100 metres underwater, the CPT-R Cable Protector, VF-SPR Spare Lens Protector, VFA-305R Filter Adaptor Kit which includes filter adaptor, lens hood and MC protector, NP-BJ1Rechargeable Battery Pack and ACC-TRDCJ Accessory Kit.
SONY RX0 TECH SPECS
Still Image Capture Resolutions:
- 15M(4,800×3,200) / 7.7M(3,408×2,272) / 3.8M(2,400×1,600)
- 14M(4,272×3,200) / 6.9M(3,024×2,272) / 3.4M(2,128×1,600)
- 13M(4,800×2,704) / 6.5M(3,408×1,920) / 3.2M(2,400×1,352),
- 10M(3,200×3,200) / 5.2M(2,272×2,272) / 2.6M(1,600×1,600)
HFR Recording Frame rates:
[PAL] mode / XAVC S HD:
- 50p 50 Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/250fps)
- 50p 50Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/500fps)
- 50p 50Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/1000fps)
- 25p 50Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/250fps)
- 25p 50Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/500fps)
- 25p 50 Mbps (1,920 x 1,080/1000fps)
[NTSC] mode / XAVC S HD:
- 60p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/240fps)
- 60p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/480fps)
- 60p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/960fps)
- 30p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/240fps)
- 30p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/480fps)
- 30p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/960fps)
- 24p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/240fps)
- 24p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/480fps)
- 24p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/960fps)
Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels
(IMPORTANT NOTE: Below are the effective recorded pixels, upscaled to 1080p above, anything over 240fps is really soft and not good enough IMHO even for web. Coming from a RX10 II user perspective)
- 240fps/250fps (1,676 x 942),
- 480fps/500fps (1,676 x 566),
- 960fps/1000fps (1,136 x 384)
Shoot Time Priority:
- 240fps/250fps (1,676 x 566)
- 480fps/500fps (1,136 x 384)
- 960fps/1000fps (800 x 270)
The RX10 is supposed to ship in October for €850 or $700 USD.
GET the ULTIMATE DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Sale Ends July 9th, 11:59pm PT