Back in January around the a6400 launch, Sony released the details of planned firmware update for it’s class-leading Sony a9 full-frame mirrorless camera, firmware version 5.0, adding Real-time Tracking AF and Real-time Eye AF.
The Sony a7 III and a7R III mirrorless cameras have been quite popular with video creatives and photographers, and now with the release of the latest Firmware Update version 3.0 users get the benefits of Real-time Eye AF performance, Real-time Animal Eye AF, and interval shooting for time lapse.
Real-time Eye AF
Real-time Eye-AF is an AI-driven enhanced eye detection system that’s based on the results of machine learning. Through machine learning, Sony has created a system that can detect—and focus on—the human eye even if the subject is looking down, partially blocked in the frame, turning or backlit. This feature is available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button.
Real-time Animal Eye AF
As with human eye recognition, firmware update v3.0 brings AI-driven animal eye detection to Sony cameras for the first time. Advanced subject recognition allows the Sony a7 III and a7R III to detect and track animal eyes, and is the first step in a robust animal-tracking AF system.
The development of Animal Eye AF performance will continue, increasing the range of animals recognised by the system as well the system’s ability to track their movement.
Interval Shooting for Time-Lapse
In addition to the above mentioned Real-time Eye AF and Animal AF, the new firmware update adds a built-in interval timer, enabling photographers and video creatives to easily capture and create time-lapse movies.
The new feature can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity is available to be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” in order to reduce changes in exposure.
Sony a7 III/a7R III Firmware Update v3.0 Details:
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
- It is not possible to detect human and animal eyes simultaneously
- Eye detection may not be possible and depends on the environment, animal type, and movement of the animal
- Allows you to operate the real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button or by pressing the AF-ON button
- Adds the Interval Shooting function
- Allows operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT (sold separately)
- Allows you to assign the [MENU] to a custom key
- Allows [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!